Thursday, March 6, 2008

Month 4: The Long Haul

Well, we're through month 4 (February), and into month 5, trudging toward spring. In some ways, it has become routine; we don't buy food at the grocery store; we know what vegetables we'll be eating. The only surprise is what new recipes I can find to fix them. I love having the winter vegetables, but I'm looking forward to spring with fresh greens. It's a long couple of months until the first of May.

On the other hand, I've found Colorado-grown organic grains and beans. This is a great relief as our stored rice is down to one serving (and holding...). I've really been enjoying the millet. I may try to make some flour out of it, as my gluten-free flour stock is nearly gone. Tapioca flour gone, potato starch gone, rice flour one serving left. Jim is set with the Wheat Lands whole wheat flour.

As usual, we're well provided with local meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products. Still a few apples from our trees, holding out in the garage. Still a few winter squash, waiting for me. I've been enjoying the homegrown fruit I dried last fall. And I'm plotting what I will be "putting up" next summer. Tomato sauce for sure. Dried celery for soups (I MISS celery). Green beans. Peas Please.

This time of year was always difficult for our grandparents and great-grandparents--people who ate by the seasons because that was what there was. In March and April they relied on canned goods, on sauerkraut and pickles, on the last of the potatoes and onions.

And when the first spring greens came in, they celebrated. How good they will taste. When you have lettuce every day, from California or farther away, it is humdrum, just another bowl of vegetables. When you haven't had lettuce for six months, it's a wonder: crisp, bright green, lovely taste. I don't think I'll bother with dressing for my first head of lettuce--I'll just pull off the leaves and stuff them into my mouth. Yum!

For those of you in the Loveland area, I'm trying to organize a LoveLandLocal bulk buying club. Take a look at that short post, where I have embedded my real email address. If you're interested, email me there, so I can contact you.

The Vernal Equinox is coming soon, and spring foods are not far behind. I would say "I can't wait", but.... I can.

No comments: