Sunday, January 27, 2008

Make Your Own Lactofermented Vegetables

One way to make those wonderful winter vegetables taste different, and last even longer, is to pickle them by lactofermentation. This is the method used for sauerkraut, kim chee and old-fashioned dill pickles. I wrote a paper last year on making Lactofermented Vegetables, complete with recipes. Enjoy!

It's an easy process, with only a few ground rules. I like to use the half-gallon canning jars; it's a good size and nearly foolproof to make in the jars. You can also make pickles in the summer, preserving those cucumbers for winter salads. Lactofermented salsa is also great, but it's not the season for fresh tomatoes. I'll post a recipe next summer for that.

3 comments:

Susan M.B. Sullivan said...

Hi,
I wrote about our sauerkraut experiment on my place today, and referenced your post today. How timely! Hope our experiment turns out. Thanks for the paper.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I used several of your recipes and had good results. Recently, I made a curried rice salad using some gingered carrots I had lacto-fermented. It made a marvelous addition! Thank you for opening my eyes to a new and creative approach to food!

Anonymous said...

Hi

I'd like to point out that insulin does not play a role in the digestion of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are digested in the digestive tract by various enzymes, and it is this process in which the bacteria mentioned may be helpful.

Insulin regulates blood glucose levels by facilitating the entry of glucose into cells. Insulin is not found in the digestive tract, and therefore cannot digest.